Sunday, June 13, 2010

Choosing between loved ones...

Jason and I are incredibly blessed, and loved by many. Over the years God has blessed both of us with incredible relationships that we are amazed by. And I thought I'd share a struggle I have been journeying through. It's really silly to be honest, but I'm practicing transparency here.

The struggle, can also be called, "the guest list, " or the, "list of invites." And it is both amazing to realize how loved we are, but it is also incredibly difficult to choose between those we love, but the fact of the matter is, we are having to make some tough decisions, because we just can't invite everyone. Neither the venue or our budget allows for us to have a wedding large enough to celebrate with every friend we have. So how do you choose between people you love?

Jason and I have jokingly tossed around a few ideas... charging admission? Raffling off tickets? Allowing the first 175 to RSVP to actually attend and celebrate with us... of course none of these ideas are actually going to be put into practice, but it has helped to laugh through this tension. The only thing we have managed to establish is that we are asking our local guests to find a sitter for their children and count this celebration as a date night.

The hard thing is, that I am afraid of what will be communicated to people. What will a lack of an invitation say to them? Will they think we value their friendship less? Will they think that we don't care about them? Or that we don't enjoy their company?

The fact of the matter is, this is not the case. We place a high value on the friends we have, and the relationships that are a part of our daily lives.

So please receive this statement, from my heart as we find ourselves finalizing our list: We love you. We love each and every one of our friends and family members. We are thankful for you, and for the ways God has used you in our lives. Please know, that if an invitation doesn't find its way to your mailbox, that it is not because of a lack of appreciation for you, but merely because space and budget do not allow for us to have an infinite number of guests.

3 comments:

Gwenn Mangine said...

So if kids are off the list-- does this mean Nick is a "no invite." ??? (just planning ahead.) :)

(In all reality, I don't think he's coming anyway.... someone has to be a parent to these 9 rascals.)

Brazenlilly said...

Ah, the guest list. It IS a stressful thing! I will say that after having gone through it myself, I was WAY more understanding when I didn't get an invite! Hopefully those who have been in your shoes will be gracious and understand the situation. But, I mean, I'm getting an invite, RIGHT?!

aussiegirl said...

Pam, I can only imagine your pain. I am so sorry. Have you considered having a 'second' gathering of sorts at your church where everyone can come and it can just be a big party?? Maybe after you get back from your wedding trip etc. It can be more casual and family (w/kids)oriented? Or... a big pot luck/cook out in the back yard, or....

I know you will find a way to work this all out.
Hugs and Blessings,
Marie