Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sensory overload...

It's been a little more than 48 hours since I heard about the earthquake. And for the last 48 hours I have in one way, shape or form been receiving stories, pictures, details of devastation in Port au Prince, and Jacmel, Haiti. It's my job, and I have a handful of friends I love there.

After 48 hours of watching, my eyes hurt. But my heart hurts even more. My friends are there. And my heart aches for them as I think about the fact that they can't turn it off.

I have control over what I see. I chose to turn on CNN, I chose to follow the twitter updates, I choose which links to listen to, I choose how long. And yes, I must confess, a few times I had to look away because I just couldn't take in any more. It is horrific. It is bad. It is frustrating to feel like there is so very little I can do...besides pray...and lend support from this end...which I know are great things...and this isn't a post about my feelings now is it?

But my friends. They have no choice. They can't turn off CNN. They can't turn off Twitter. They can't look away, because every where they look, there is destruction. Everywhere they turn, there is rubble. Everywhere they go, there is a stench, and I can only imagine the sounds.

My friends, are living it. 24-7. I tuned out for a bit last night, desperate for some normalcy, and again from 2a-5:45a this morning, desperate for some sleep, and I'm drained. I can't even begin to imagine how my friends are feeling. I am sure they long for normal, even Haiti normal.

Not to say it is hopeless. Because I am a firm believer that disaster always leaves room for hope. Ruins can be rebuilt. Our God is a Healer, and a Redeemer, a Provider, and a Comforter. I know He has not abandoned the people of Haiti.

He is in Haiti. He is all throughout Haiti. And My prayer, is that my friends, while they can't tune out what is around them, would see evidences of Him amidst the rubble and the ruins. I keep going back to Psalm 121, and hoping it becomes their reality.

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip-
he who watches you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you-
The LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm-
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.


1 comment:

rod said...

Is this orphanage in Jacmel the one that Gerry O'Leary, from Canada, started years ago. It was situated right in Jacmel and we went there in 2005 to establish it outside of Jacmel at a beach frontage?