Monday, April 06, 2009

Patience is key, Prayer is life... Rachel Brown

***You all get to hear plenty from me...so we thought this week we would let the students take over my blog.  I hope you enjoy hearing about our trip from their perspective... -Pam


These past few days have not only been long and stressful, but also enlightening. With all of our traveling issues and delays I was sure that we’d never arrive in Jacmel, but we did! Before this trip, I had never really considered praying a daily part of my routine. Sure, I prayed right

 before a big exam or when a family member was sick but it really wasn’t a big priority in my life. Not until this past weekend, that is. This is my first trip out of the United States, and I admit that I’ve been a little bit nervous and apprehensive. I’m not typically a shy person but for some reason I didn’t feel like I was myself. Today, when we went to Danny and Leanne’s place, the Haitian Children’s Home, I felt lost. There were so many kids and it was overwhelming! I couldn’t understand them because they all spoke Creole and even though many knew English they felt more comfortable in their own language. The language barrier really stressed me out and while I wanted to talk to those kids, I had a hard time picking up key words and phrases (I speak Spanish, not Creole!). For the first hour I meandered throughout the house trying to figure out what I should do. My other teammates were absorbed in hand clapping games and futbol (soccer), and I didn’t have a clue as to what I should have been doing. So I did what I had learned to do best during this trip: I prayed. I asked God to give me an overwhelming excitement for the kids in the Haitian

 Children’s Home, and I prayed that he would somehow use the language barrier for good. I spent 5 minutes asking God for guidance and afterwards I actually felt a lot better. 

After that it was as if God had transformed me into a completely different person. I was happy and even a little excited about getting to know these kids. While we were at the beach, without sharks of course, I even met a little girl who actually talked to me in English! Throughout these past few days I’ve learned that patience is key and prayer is life. If you don’t pray, you won’t go anywhere. If people hadn’t been praying for us last night it’s possible that we could have been stranded on the way to Jacmel still 3 hours out. Even though I’ve been frustrated and disappointed, I know that God always has a plan. We just have to know how to ask what it is.

-Rachel

8 comments:

andrea said...

Prayer is life.
Amen.

Rick said...

We're still praying for you guys. I know you'll have an awesome week.

Jonathan Bow said...

probably the proudest I've ever been of you, Rachel. i look forward to more of the transformation God will do in you.

David said...

What a joy to read the words my daughter from Haiti and to know that she is learning the absolute power of prayer! Why am I not surprised to see a picture of her holding a precious little Haitian girl. God has given her such a deep love for children. Thank you Pam for letting the teens share their experiences. I look forward to hearing from the others too. And, thank you for the impact you have in their lives. We continue to pray wisdom and discernment for the leaders, and yielded hearts and eyes that see for all the students.

Lucy said...

I love you, Rachel! Thank you for being vulnerable and expressing your feelings in such a raw manner. I'm glad you are safe in Haiti and having a good time. Tell everyone LUCY MOORE says Bonswa! (or however you spell it..)

Prayer is important. I'm praying for you guys!

-Lucy

Brian Williams said...

So impressed with everyone's attitude. Praying for a fantastic day of service, prayer, loving well, and living large! Squeeze every drop of experience out of every minute.

Paul Nickerson said...

Rachel, it is so awesome to read your description of how shifting into the prayer gear changed you more than your situation. That moved you out of the natural and into the supernatural, didn't it? Jacki and I are praying for you. Reading what you have written will help kick us into that supernatural gear, too.

Jason said...

I don't even know you Rachel and your note brought tears to my eyes. You guys are learning life lessons at such a young age! We are praying for you and can't wait to hear how today goes!
Melissa Cowell