Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Learning to Trust...Kelsey Stoner


So our week in Haiti is coming to a close. Unfortunately, it has gone by way to fast. But it has been another eye-opening experience I will never forget. Over the past few weeks, God has been teaching me the importance of trusting him fully with everything in my life and showing that He is the one that I need to rely on in any situation.

When we started our journey, there were so many roadblocks along the way that were keeping us from making our way to Jacmel. Our flight was delayed a whole day. Once we reached Miami, our flight to Haiti was delayed 3 hours. And when we got to Haiti, the roads were literally blocked to Jacmel (another night away from where we believed we were supposed to be). It was so hard for me at first to comprehend everything that was going on. Why was God keeping us from Jacmel? Why was Satin interfering with this great opportunity? It was frustrating. But I realized that in every situation we were put in, the only thing our team could do, at that time, was pray and trust that God had everything under control. His plan was not our plan and we had to understand that those are not always the same.

Every soccer season, each player on my team memorizes a verse that pertains to their life at the moment - a verse that demonstrates what God is teaching them. I chose Psalm 63. The beginning of it says, “God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you. My soul thirsts for you. My body longs for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water”. It goes on to talk about the rest of the body and that without God, it is like living without water: impossible.
So it was amazing to see how God was preparing me for my trip to Haiti. Nothing made sense at the beginning. But, I realized how trusting in God can be difficult, but rewarding at the same time. I have enjoyed coming back and spending another week in Haiti. Even though it was short, it has been a blast. I love the team I get to be apart of. And this trip has been another unforgettable experience that will always stick with me.
- Kelsey Stoner

***Editor's note: Kelsey wrote this on Wednesday but poor internet connection prevented us from uploading until today.  

No comments: