Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Being a blessing...Stephen Smith

So, each day Pam has one of us led devotion, either in the morning or at night. This morning I was awarded the duty of leading. Honestly I had no idea what I was going to talk about or anything. I prayed for a while about it last night, and the only thing I kept thinking was about how blessed I am to be here. Seriously I had no idea how amazing this trip would be, and I feel extremely lucky to be here.

Not only am I blessed to be in a group like ours, but also just to be able to here at all. About two months before we left Eddie came to me and told me that I hadn’t raised enough money, as a matter of fact I wasn’t even close. I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to come, and since I didn’t know what to do I turned to God and a few good friends of mine. 

That week I received multiple checks from friends, and even some anonymous checks. That was my first real feeling of blessing on this trip.

But, what does it mean to be blessed. According to my Bible, the definition of bless is when God makes things go well for a person. As you probably know things didn’t necessarily go well for our group at the beginning (or so we thought.) 

Throughout all the layovers and delays we had the opportunity to grow as a strong group, and we have agreeably been blessed with this time together. As God has blessed us, it is our duty to bless others, whether it is others in the group, our leaders, or the kids we are here to impact. While ‘researching’ last night for my devotion, I ran across Deuteronomy chapter 30. It says “See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to posses.” (Verses 15-16)  That really motivated me to do whatever it takes to bless those around me. To help when asked, or not asked. And to be a blessing to the wonderful kids here. I didn’t know who or how to bless, but I found the answer in Romans 12: 14-21. It opened my eyes and encouraged me to be a blessing, while I am being blessed.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers as we travel further in our journey. Knowing that there are people supporting us back home helps us in more ways than you could imagine. Among all of the blessings God has given us, family and friends seems to be one of the greatest.

-Stephen

4 comments:

David said...

While kids around the US are heading to beaches for Spring Break, here we have a Crosspointe teen saying how blessed he is to be in Haiti serving and helping others. We are proud of your Stephen! You have blessed us with your words. Thanks for sharing them.

Nicole said...

This is so awesome, Stephen. What an encouraging blog post to read! I am continually praying for you guys. God is so good. I can already see Him working in, and through you and your team...and I'm sure He has a lot more in store!

Rick said...

Proud of you pal. Give your mom a hug for me.

Mary said...

I am so thrilled to read all of your posts! Thanks for sharing your hearts!