Thursday, December 04, 2008

The gift of restoration.

Restore:  reestablish, repair, refurbish, revive, refresh, to reinstate, to bring back

1 Peter 9:10
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

Isaiah 43:25
I , even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.

I have a nativity set that I purchased while I was in Tanzania.  The first year I owned it one of the wise men lost his head.  Yes, I know, that just doesn't sound right, but he did.  He was knocked off the table and the tile floor was triumphant over the soap stone.  I did what my mother always did, found some super glue and put it back together.  I then moved the nativity to a place where little hands couldn't get at it, and it wouldn't be so vulnerable.  I did this, because I valued the nativity set (I have this desire to collect them from all over the world) and I didn't want further breaks.  I also knew, that since the wise man had already broken once, that it would be more vulnerable and could break again with ease.  I also must admit, for the point of this entry, that the once broken wise man found an inconspicuous spot in the back because my repair job was not so great and he looked a little funny.  I know.  Very. Shallow.

As I think about my life I can reflect on the many times that God has brought about restoration.  There were times when I was young and my heart was broken, but he heals.  There was broken trust, and then trust restored.  And then there is the big one, my broken relationship with him.  Because we have all sinned, we all need to be restored to Him, and he does this, but not in the same way that I restored the wise man.  In 1 Peter 5:10 it says:  restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast.  I would not necessarily use those words to describe my soapstone wise man, he is actually quite weak after my repair.  But God, the God of all grace, restores us to himself in this manner, he doesn't have some wimpy super glue, but he has the grace to forget our sins, and remember them no more, and in His restoration he makes us strong, firm and steadfast.  Instead of making a quick repair, he weaves himself within us, and instead of hiding us in an inconspicuous spot, He restores us to Him, for all to see.

I find myself thankful for restoration this morning.

No comments: