Saturday, December 13, 2008

The gift of peace.

Towards the end of middle school and into high school I started having pretty horrific dreams.  At first they were sporadic, but even when they were few and far between I would get pretty freaked out.

In college they became more frequent, and I became a psychology major and started to open up my mind to the idea that perhaps I was having these dreams for reasons other than just having a dream...

Well one night I had a particularly rough night.  I woke up about 20 minutes after falling asleep and was haunted.  So much so that getting out of bed was not an option, I was frozen, but falling back asleep was also not an option...so I did the only thing I knew to do...I pulled the bible off of the bedside table and read...and stumbled upon this gem that changed my life (and nights) forever:

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.  Psalm 4:8

When I read this I realized that my dreams that were quite rooted in fear. I realized that I was living each day fearful of what could have been or what could happen to me today.  I hid it so well that often-times I had myself convinced.  When I read this, I realized that I had also set up walls and protective measures to downplay the fear and also increase my safety.

But they weren't working.  I wasn't keeping myself safe.  And I was reminded that although there are the realistic measures to take (like locking my doors etc.) it is ultimately the Lord who keeps me safe.  I lie down and sleep in peace, because the Lord gives me peace.  I take courageous leaps around the world because the Lord gives me peace.  I searched abandoned buildings for homeless people in the middle of the night because the Lord gave me peace.   I sleep well at night, because the Lord makes me dwell in safety...he gives me peace.

In what ways have you been given the gift of peace?

No comments: