Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Gift of grace.

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings...
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things.
~ U2 Lyrics to Grace


When I was a little girl, I was downright ugly, and I am not talking about the physical sense, but I was mean, mostly to my mom. I can remember yelling horrific things at her before I ran out of the room (because lets face it, she was bigger than me and she had the spoon!)

I had issues. I still do.

But that is where Grace steps in. U2 says it well in the song, Grace:

Grace finds goodness in everything...
Grace finds beauty in everything...
Grace makes beauty out of ugly things...
It's also a thought that, changed the world...

The concept of Grace is a difficult one to grasp. I often confuse it with another gift, mercy, but I once heard it described well. 

Grace is the giving of something I didn't deserve, mercy is the withholding of something I did deserve.

I did not deserve the Grace that has been given to me in my life. Many people, trust me, MANY have given me forgiveness when I didn't deserve it, they have given me second chances when I didn't deserve them, they loved me when really I deserved to be left alone. They gave me grace and often times more than once.

And God, man has He ever given me grace. So many times in my life I chose myself over him. So many times in my life I did what I knew was distinctly against what I knew He prefered for me..and every time, every time, I found grace.

Grace has changed my world. I am still learning how to give myself grace, but really, it is grace that ends fights. It is grace that calms fears, and settles stressful environments.

Grace, it makes beauty out of the ugliest things.

John 1:16-17
From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.


No comments: