Saturday, October 25, 2008

The little things...

I am taking a day off. It's been a while.  I hit the ground running when I got back from Kenya 2 weeks ago and it seems my body is starting to take action.  On Thursday I started to feel congested had a little cough etc.  So I took the warning and scaled back the calendar (because wouldn't you know I had a jam-packed weekend!)

Just so you know scaling back the calendar doesn't mean I am sitting on the couch all day.  I had bills to pay, laundry to do, a grocery list to make, budget to work on...

Around noon I realized I needed to use my printer, which is when I also realized I still needed to go to the apartment complex office to retrieve the new print head that canon sent me this week.

When I walk in the woman who is working is discussing an apartment with potential renters.  I notice in their accent that they are not from the USA.  She steps away for a minute and I humbly ask where they are from.  Where?  Kenya.  Yep.  Then I proceeded to welcome them to town in swahili and the woman employed by Management walks back over and is stunned.  We of course continue our chat in swahili about where I learned Swahili, how I was in Nairobi 2 weeks ago, and how I spent the last two years in Tanzania.  I smiled.  

I secretly hope they move in, because I would love to have chai (the real stuff mind you) on my porch and talk with her all day long in swahili...even if it is the Kenyan version.


6 comments:

andrea said...

wow, is God totally cool or what??

andrea said...

wow, is God totally cool or what??

Brian Williams said...

Isn't it cool how God gives you little moments of "connection" like that?

Have a great week!

Elaine* said...

That just made my heart smile!
Realllllly big, I might add!!!
Love you sistah!
E*

patingamon said...

I was so excited to return to work and share the three Swahili words I learned in Kenya with the Kenyan woman who works at my office.

Worked. Not works. She apparently had quit while I was in Kenya.

Now I just mumble "mbuzi" to myself.

Britt said...

sorry for the late post... just now catching up on your blog...

But that is REALLY cool... it pretty much made my night to hear that.