Sunday, July 13, 2008

Clarification.

Just to clarify. 

I have not taken the plunge on either of the topics I discussed in my last post.

I am in debate, and weighing the costs (financial, physical, etc.)

I mentioned a lot of reasons why I AM considering both in my previous post.

Reasons for not:
1.  convenience.  Let's face it, it is much easier to be a meat eater in this country.  
2.  relationships.  I don't want to make it difficult on other people when I eat in their home.  So in all honesty, if you had me over and served meat, I would eat it without complaint.
3.  The gluten factor.  If the testing I am going through on June 25 shows that I have Celiac's disease or a gluten allergy, then I will have to cut it out for good.  Cutting out gluten is hard enough, I don't know if I can feasibly cut out both without losing my mind.  If I have Celiac's disease I will have to cut out gluten and dairy...
4.  There are random days, when I do want a hamburger.
5.  Lazyness.  Let's face it, it is much easier to watch tv when I a tired than it is to read a book.
6.  Friends.  I LOVE hosting.  Friends and their kids.  Without a TV, I am afraid my house will become not so visitor friendly.  I am thinking though, with the cost of a TV, I could put that cash into some awesome toys and games and throw them in the closet.  Who would have thought of playing?!?!
7.  I don't want to be difficult.  I don't want to make another persons life more complicated because of a decision I make about mine.  

These last two, are really the biggest hurdles for me.  Hosting and being hosted.  I want others to want to come over, and I don't want to be "that guest" who stresses people out when they invite me over for dinner.  

And.  I said it before, I will say it again.  These ideas are not because of  moral convictions, ethics, or animal rights.  They are mostly just be knowing myself, and trying to do what I feel might be best for me.


4 comments:

Nick Mangine said...

OK, I hope this wasn't in response to my comments yesterday, because I was totally joking.

But I do have some thoughts:

I love the idea of buying some cool toys/games instead of a TV for entertaining--I'd visit.

I was thinking about the gluten issue with being vegetarian--that seems hard, Daniel fast hard, permanently. I don't know.

Brian Williams said...

Good friends, a cribbage board, a deck of cards, and lots of iced tea is the recipe for a perfect evening!

"I don't want to make another persons life more complicated because of a decision I make about mine."
I appreciate your heart for loving others well but life is already complicated and friendship is worth the effort. This little stuff is not going to dissuade your friends from visiting you.

Buy some games, use your computer's DVD player in a "Veggie Tales" emergency, and have fun!!


What time is cribbage?

Meat- My sister went vegetarian in college for economic reasons. When she graduated and got a real job she found she just enjoyed the non-meat life better. She does however, still have to go home to Georgia and have some Fresh Air BBQ occasionally.

Hope you get some answers to the whold gluten issue.

nelly said...

TV killed the radio star. It is true.

Heather Hitchcock said...

So, do you have to make firm decisions??? Can't you just put the TV in the closet and take it out if kids come by. Can't you just not buy meat and cook it at your house and eat it elsewhere if you want? Just asking.