Thursday, May 15, 2008

But you aren't a mommy...

So last night I stayed with the kiddos of some friends of mine. They have two young boys and because life happens, mom and dad needed to be in two different places out of town at the same time.

So I had the fun of taking over parental-like duties from about 4:30 PM until 9:3o this morning. Which really means in my mind having a blast and showering their kids with love and fun in their absence. My goal, make it as fun and exhausting as possible so they won't have too much time to think about mom and dad not being around and also so they would collapse in their beds.

So we hit the park, fed the ducks, played on the playground and had a blast. Got really dirty, but had a blast. And if that wasn't enough we stopped at Chik-fil-a for dinner and more play ground fun.

We rush home, and get in the bathtub and off to bed. The night was hysterical, loads of funny things said...but my personal favorite was at the very end of the evening. They were both in their beds and started asking questions about where mommy was that very minute (I must have super powers) and what time daddy's plane was coming in on Thursday, where was I going to sleep, who was going to make breakfast, did I know how to make breakfast, do I know who likes what kind of juice etc. And then the big question...from the 3 year old...

"Miss Pam, what if I wake up in the middle of the night and I need something?"
"Well, I am going to sleep in the guest room where Nana and Papa usually sleep and if you need something you can wake me up and I will help you, or if something is wrong you can yell out and I will come and help."
"But Miss Pam, you aren't a mommy, how will you know what to do?"

Yes. Priceless. I covered my laugh so as to not ruin his confidence and told him that I was sure that even though I wasn't a mommy, between the two of us we could figure it out of he needs something.

Thankfully we all slept through the night and didn't have to test my theory.

1 comment:

abow4 said...

okay, seriously...i wish i was that little boy's mommy! :)