Friday, April 25, 2008

Somebody's Baby

Last week Stephen Claybrook, one of my new office mates, shared this song with me. I can't remember exactly what he said to me as he shared it, but it was something along the lines of knowing my heart for the poor and the homeless and he thought my heart would resonate or something...

Anyhow. I am amazed that I had only worked with Stephen for a week at that point, and he knew me this well. As this song repeats in my head I have visions of the homeless girls I met at Outreach, the women begging on the streets, the kids running through the slums and the women staying in the shelters...and truly, most of the time the fact that they were homeless somehow took their humanity from them and they all longed to be known as somebody's baby. I think it does a phenomenal job of looking into the heart, mind and life of a homeless girl and how we as a society might tend to view her, and it leaves us with the challenge of realizing that this girl, is someone's baby, she's real, she's one of us, but sadly, life took her down the road of homelessness.

The song is called Somebody's Baby by Jon Foreman. And thanks to Youtube you can watch and listen here.

No comments: