Friday, February 01, 2008

Euros vs. Pounds...an important detail.

So when you pay for an extra bag when boarding a flight in the USA you pay $150 extra for a 50 lb bag. I assumed that when I return to the states next week with all of my personal belongings that I would be charged the same price. I was SO wrong.

When departing on KLM from Tanzania, I will be charged 150 Euros per 50 lb bag. (about $220) CMF has allocated about $450 for me to bring back extra bags...with my guitar and personal stuff, I currently have 6 extra bags.

I inquired as to what I should do. I found out that I can ship all of my bags via cargo through KLM, and I will be charged $800 (which is cheaper than paying extra baggage) but they will only make it as far as Chicago. I don't live in Chicago, and I don't think I know anyone who does.

What is a girl to do? I think tonight I will find myself re-packing and trying to slim down the list of items that I think are important enough to pay to get back.

No comments: