Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wednesday Morning Sabbath

I started a new thing this week. Wednesday morning sabbath. Some of you might find it strange, as you would consider sunday a sabbath, but I work quite often on a sunday, in some capacity. And Saturdays, well those end up having work in them too. The rest of the week as normal includes work.

Then it dawned on me, that on wednesdays, my house is empty, and wednesdays happen to be my lightest working days. So I decided from now on, that I will take wednesday mornings off from work, from chores, from duties that "must get done" and just rest with God.

Today was my first day, it is was a little strange at first. What am I supposed to do with this time anyhow? I read. I talked frankly with God. I also listened to a rockin message called "Who's your daddy?" from Lookout Mountain Community Church. I rested with God, and I feel better than I have in weeks. No wonder he tells us to rest. Why am I such a slow learner?

I read Hebrews 11 today. I have been going through Hebrews the last several days. I was awestruck by a few things.

We all know the passage, it lists name after name after name of people who lived by faith. I am always encouraged by these short stories, but a few got to me today.

In verse 4, "By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke wll of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead."

WHOA! How cool is that? I hope that my life still speaks long after I am dead.

And then I noticed a theme, aside from the faith theme, that they had their eyes on another goal. Their goal was seeing the city with foundations, whose architect was God. (vs. 10) They weren't thinking of where they had been or what had been, but they were longing for a better country, a heavenly one. (vs. 16) They believed in things that God had spoken of but they had not yet seen. He was their goal. What He had for them was their motivation. They were motivated by their daddy.

And I must remark, if I lived that way, I would have much more faith. Duh! But really, if I had enough faith to always take what God says, for what he says it to be, instead of doubt or get annoyed or frustrated or just write it off as me dreaming, my entire life would be different.

I wouldn't get caught up with things not going my way. I wouldn't try and have all the answers right now, but I would abide in the King, and trust that he has it all worked out and will tell me what I must do when. I would worship more freely, and trust more deeply, and yep, I am pretty sure I would love more deeply.

4 comments:

Jenelle said...

May you rest and love more freely. Truly, madly, deeply.

g9ine said...

:-)

woosterweester said...

I've totally been meditating on that portion about Abel since you wrote it. Sweet insight. I was just thinking what an awesome sermon that would make at a funeral.

Pam said...

I have been stuck on it too all week. It has led me to consider over and over again what my life should look like in order for God to still speak through it after I am dead. Radical holiness? Extreme righteousness? Reckless abandonment to Him and His truth? Or is it just as simple as childlike faith? I'll get back to you on this one!