Friday, September 07, 2007

Pictures really do say a lot...

The lack of a picture says even more!

I had intentions of putting a picture right here...a picture of water in buckets on my kitchen floor. It should have spoken loud and clear that yes, I am again having water problems. But, the Internet is too weak, so I can't post a picture either! I have plenty of water in my outside storage tank, however, something is wrong between the tank and the house as it isn't coming into the house. I shouldn't complain, others have it far worse.

The last several days, really all of this week, there has been a common theme in my time with God. It all revolves around the P word...Perseverance. I am encouraged by what I read, as I am seeing that those who persevere receive the reward but I don't like the word because it implies standing firm, standing strong, pushing through, not giving up yada yada yada and thus implies the potential for a long standing, not a short one.

What I am not sure about is, where it applies. Does it apply in the area of persevering with the nuances (like water issues) of living in Africa? Does it imply that things in Unga are gonna get more crazy before they get better? Does it imply there will be difficulty in my ministry relationships? team relationships? personal relationships? Changes to come that weren't planned by me? Difficult times? Does it apply to persevering as I miss my family while I am here, cause this week, I am really missing Grandma, how I would love to hear her voice! Does it apply to all of the above?

Or is it different, is it a promise of a testing of my faith, that is endured and conquered through perseverance, and then will allow for character development?

I really don't know the answer, I just know, to be honest, that I am not looking forward to it. Perseverance is kinda ominous. I always enjoy coming through a trial and looking back to see how I have grown and what I have learned, mostly about the God I serve and the depths of his love for me, but I don't like standing on this end, knowing that there is a possibility (cause face it, there is regardless of the messages from the week) of difficulty ahead. Don't get me wrong, I am a glass is half-full kinda gal, but I am also a realist. We haven't reached heaven yet. Life in this world will allow for trouble.

Or maybe, then again, it is all about the water. God only knows. I kinda like it that way, cause if I knew, I would already be planning another route, or a self-identified solution...I would rather be caught by surprise, and let God come up with a better solution.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Hey sister - after reading this bit...
"Perseverance... but I don't like the word because it implies standing firm, standing strong, pushing through, not giving up yada yada yada and thus implies the potential for a long standing, not a short one."

I was reminded that maybe you're being asked first to abide. to lean in. to cling. These will eventually look like perserverance perhaps? My mentor woman told me this week that "abide is a present tense verb" meaning it is for today.

I'm with you on the "guessings about tomorrow" and "reasons for why things are as they are" so I'm happy that we're on this abiding journey together. Be encouraged dear sister. Love, A