Saturday, August 25, 2007

My hands are still shaking

Todd and Tami Carter are celebrating their anniversary , so Kendra and I thought it would be fun to take their three kids for the weekend. We picked them up at noon, planned a pic-nic at Marangu falls and went on our way. We arrived safe and sound. We had a blast in the falls, climbing the rocks, searching out new trails, and eating pbj's and cookies.

After we got feeling back in our legs (they were numb from the cold water) we packed up the car and headed home. And then the day went sour.

It was a blur, and the end result, was squealing tires, crashing of glass, screaming and a sudden stop. We were moving with traffic, between two small towns, when a cart pulled into the lane, causing the car in front of me to slam on his brakes, which led to me slamming on my brakes, swerving as they locked up only to realize I can't swerve cause we are on a bridge and there is oncoming traffic.

Accidents aren't fun, in any country, but I realized, that I have no idea what to do. I was helpless. I had a car full of people, and I didn't even know what to do next. In the USA we would call the police, but we don't have an emergency number to call here. Then the crowd came. People came out of nowhere, honestly I have no clue where they came from, but in a matter of seconds, there were at least 50 Tanzanians gathering. My mind quickly turned to the stories of white people being beaten, hurt terribly and sometimes killed in such instances so fear took over, I got back into my car, told everyone to roll up the windows and lock the doors. We waited for help to arrive.

Five hours later, I am still trying to make sense of it all. I am still still shaking, adrenaline is pumping through my veins, and I am hoping that writing this out would help me to process but am sad as it isn't. My eyes are burning, as I failed to keep it all together and cried like a baby on many occasions. But as I think to the condition of my car, and realize that it is a miracle that no one is hurt I have to be thankful. God truly protected us today, from the crowd, and from injury in the accident. My car, yet again (I got it back last week from the engine repair it was needing) is rendered undrivable. Thankfully I have insurance. By the looks of it, if the car had been in America, it would have been totalled, there was radiator fluid everywhere, as well as others (so much for the engine being rebuilt.) Miracles of many types happen here, and I am convinced, that it will take time, but that I will get my car back, good as new. Thanks to car insurance.

It was a day. Even at the dinner table we all remarked at how it seemed like our trip to the falls was a few days ago, and we were surprised that it was just this morning. I look forward to a new day tomorrow.

No comments: