Sunday, June 10, 2007

528

if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown...flush it down.

Sorry if that is too much information for you folks! Sadly I had to teach the interns about getting the most out of our water the other day. Yep. You guessed it, the interns are getting a wonderful welcome to Arusha. First, it was a broken down safari car. Now it is a water pump. The pump that pumps water to the tank that feeds water into the house broke on friday. All I knew before it broke as that we had filled the 1000 ltr. tank on thursday. Who knows how long it will last.

The good news is, my new landlord is very much with the program. He had a repairman and a new pump at the house on saturday. The bad news is, when replacing the pump other problems were discovered, and, well we are still in extreme water rationing mode... saturday we completely ran out but managed to fill the above tank about 1/2 full. So how long do you think a house of 5 girls can last on 500 liters of water??? I don't know but I think if the problem isn't fixed by tomorrow we might have a problem.

500 liters = 132 gallons = 2112 cups

5 girls.

Each girl gets 528 cups. To bathe, to brush teeth, to do dishes, to cook, to clean, to consume.

I have to laugh, because moving to this house was an effort to be closer to the main road and also not have water problems! HA! The good news, is that if we get desperate we can go back to little house on the prairie and pull it out of the underground tank by the bucket! I still have water, which is an improvement from the last place. Just can't seem to get it in the house.

It then dawned on me, of how in the US, I never thought of water consumption. I turned the faucet on, and there is was. And not only was it there, I didn't have to think about it, I drank it, washed my hands in it, brushed my teeth with it...you know the deal. Here, water is thought about all day most days, and honestly, i am a little tired of being consumed by worries of water.

No comments: