Saturday, May 05, 2007

Its been decided.

We have been living in Africa too long.

A few weeks ago, some of the girls spent the night and I made pancakes for breakfast. I also made syrup (we don't buy it buy the bottle here, instead we make it from scratch.) Anyhow, in the 4-5 minutes the syrup was cooling, it somehow became infested with ants, although we didn't notice until the 3rd person had finished pouring the syrup on her pancakes. So what did we do? Well, we ate the pancakes with the syrup of course!

Tonight, Katie and I made some rice to go along with our dinner. After it boiled I looked at it and said, "Katie, there are bugs on the top of the rice!" We both laughed and recalled how at the old place I had an infestation of bugs because I didn't freeze my flour when i brought it home. Anyhow, these bugs were quite similar so we assumed that when Tedi cleaned the cabinet she didn't throw out the rice as I had asked her to. So what did we do...we scraped off the top and ate the rice...and probably a few bugs as well by default.

So there are two ways to look at this. The first, we could assume that being in Africa for this long has taught us that bugs won't kill you and they really have no flavor at all so you might as well just eat what is in front of you. Or the second, and probably more likely deduction, we are lazy, and don't want to go through the hassle of making things a second time, especially when you still might have some bugs when it is all said and done.

Happy bug eating!

No comments: