Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Flaming Arrows


Hmmm. Arrows are sharp, cause pain, and can cause significant damage. But FLAMING arrows! Now that is intense! Think about it. Flaming arrows don't just cause pain to you, but can cause pain to anything around you. Satan is smart.


Ephesians 6:16

In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.


Satan is smart. God is smarter. and I am so weak without him.


This random message, is a result of my forgeting my shield of faith lately. And man have those flaming arrows been coming! Here are a few:


Pam, why in the world did you do that?

How could you forget to do that?

You can't really do this task.

You don't have what it takes to minister here.

A man could do your job better.

You really need a husband to be able to earn credibility here.

You don't really think you can transform a community do you?

You didn't go to bible college, therefore, you really don't know what you are doing.

You can't tell your teammates or supporters you have these doubts...a good missionary wouldn't have them.

You can't cut it here.

You are too picky.

You are lazy.

You failed before you will fail again?

Righteous? Like you could attain that!


WOW! WOW! WOW! How these flaming arrows take hold! You see I know they are flaming arrows, cause they are contrary to everything God has told me concerning this project, the vision and my being here! But for some reason, I forgot my shield of faith lately, and forgot those promises, and reminders of who God is and who I am. WOW. How I can so easily get derailed.


And this is what happens when the flaming arrows take root:

I start to believe them. I start to doubt myself and God. I start to mistrust my teammates. My attitude is contagious. (the flames start spreading to other potential targets.) I focus on my failures as opposed to the promises and vision laid before me over the last couple years. I stop trying to clothe myself in righteousness. I stop talking to God (cause really, i can't talk to him when I feel this way cause if I feel this way about myself I really have no right to approach him.) you see the sick twisted and sneaky way satan gets in there! UGH! It just makes me SO angry!


The answer:


Ephesians 6:11-18

Put on the FULL armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the FULL armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand yoru ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand Firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around yoru waist, with the breastplace of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness tha comes from the gospel of peace. In addtion to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can EXTINGUISH ALL THE FLAMING ARROWS of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.


How great God is that he not only is our defender, but equips us to defend ourselves with His power and Spirit.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pam,
God just showed me this passage as I was reading and thought it was destined to be shared with you!
Psalm 76:1-3
"In Judah God is known; his name is great in Israel.
His tent is in Salem, his dwelling place in Zion.
Ther he boke the flashing arrows, the shields and the swords, the weapons of war."
How amazing is our God, connecting us across the miles through His awesome Word!
Love, Lisa